If you are unable to find an answer to your query, and require further assistance, please email our support team at email@example.com. We will endeavour to respond within 24 hours but, if you don't see a reply from us, please check your spam filter.
- Q: What is .reit?
- A: The .reit top-level domain (TLD) is the online home for the worldwide community of Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs). The .reit Top-Level Domain presents an opportunity to showcase REITs as a globally recognized approach to real estate investment, as well as a means of protecting the reputation of REITs and providing assurance to global internet users that any domain name ending in .reit belongs to a genuine REIT. The .reit domain names are available on a non-discriminatory basis worldwide only to companies which operate under national laws consistent with the well-accepted basics of the REIT approach to real estate investment. All .reit domains are required to serve the needs of the REIT community by providing information about or offering services related to the REIT.
- Q: Who operates .reit?
- A: The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) allowed applicants to secure and operate their own customized generic top-level domain names (gTLDs) . ICANN's vision for the gTLD program is to enhance competition, consumer choice, and innovation by opening the internet to new top-level domains beyond .com, .org, .net, etc. Nareit developed the .reit TLD on behalf of and for the benefit of the Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT) community worldwide. Nareit's operation of the .reit TLD was supported by several international REIT member organizations, including The Association for Real Estate Securitization (ARES – Japan), British Property Federation (BPF – UK), Property Council of Australia (PCA), Real Property Association of Canada (REALpac), and Federation des Societes Immobilieres et Foncieres (FSIF - France).
- Q: Who can register a .reit domain name?
- A: A stringent validation process will ensure that only applicants able to document that they are operating as REITs (regardless of what acronym they are known by in their home country) in countries with established REIT regimes recognized by Nareit will be able to register a .reit domain. Registrants may be required to submit additional documentation in support of their domain name application. Only qualifying REITs may apply for and register a .reit domain name. Domain names are available only to actual REIT entities and not to REIT sponsors, holding companies, or other affiliated entities.
- Q: Are there restrictions on what domain names strings can be applied for?
- A: .reit domain names applied for must either correspond to the REIT's legal trade names or be the name by which the REIT is commonly known, which may include acronyms, registered and common law trademarks, and exchange ticker symbols. Certain commonly used legal suffix terms or abbreviations that are in the REIT's legal trade names may be excluded or abbreviated provided that the requested domain name is still sufficiently unique as to clearly identify the domain name to the specific REIT. Commonly known names by which the REIT is identified must be sufficiently unique as to clearly identify the domain name to the specific REIT. Names which may be confusing to the public because they correspond too closely to the name of a REIT’s sponsor, holding companies, or other affiliated entities are also not eligible.
- Q: How much does a .reit domain name cost?
- A: The cost of applying for and registering a .reit domain name will be $1,000(USD) for a one year registration period. The application fee is non-refundable for applicants that fail to prove their REIT status or request an invalid domain name string. Domain name renewal applications will also cost $1,000(USD) for one year renewal periods.
- Q: What are the registration period options?
- A: Domain name registrations will be limited to a one year registration period and domain name holders will have to renew each year subject to their continuing to meet the qualifications for holding the .reit domain name. Renewals will also be limited to a one year period.
- Q: What content can be presented on a .reit site?
- A: All .reit domains are required to serve the needs of the REIT community, including providing information about or offering services related to the REIT.
- Q: Is a .reit domain name as secure as .com name?
- A: Yes. ICANN's requirements mandate that the new gTLDs such as .reit employ the latest and most advanced security protocols on the web.
- Q: What is the Trademark Clearinghouse?
- A: The Trademark Clearinghouse is a global repository for trademark data, the first of its kind in the domain name space. Designed to meet global needs for the domain name system (DNS), the Trademark Clearinghouse providers will: (i) verify trademark data from multiple global regions; and (ii) maintain a database with the verified trademark records. The verified data in the Trademark Clearinghouse will be used to support both Trademark Claims and Sunrise Services, required in all new gTLDs. The Clearinghouse will play an important role in the gTLD Program and in the ongoing protection of trademark rights.
- Q: What are Trademark Claims and Sunrise Services?
- A: A "Sunrise Period" is a period of at least 30 days during which trademark holders have an advance opportunity to register domain names corresponding to their marks before names are generally available to the public. Sunrise services allow trademark holders an advance opportunity to register domain names corresponding to their marks before names are generally available to the public. The .reit sunrise period is from November 17, 2015 to December 20, 2015. The Trademark Claims period follows the Sunrise period and runs for at least the first 90 days of an initial operating period of general registration. During the Trademark Claims period, anyone attempting to register a domain name matching a mark that is recorded in the Trademark Clearinghouse will receive a notification displaying the relevant mark information. If the notified party goes ahead and registers the domain name, the Trademark Clearinghouse will send a notice to those trademark holders with matching records in the Clearinghouse, informing them that someone has registered the domain name.
- Q: Is there a cost to use the Trademark Clearinghouse?
- A: Yes. The parties using the services are responsible for paying for their costs. For example, trademark holders will pay for verification of data by the Clearinghouse. Registries or others using the data to support Sunrise and Trademark Claims services will also pay fees for this use.
- Q: How do I get access to the Trademark Clearinghouse?
- A: http://www.trademark-clearinghouse.com/
- Q: I have applied for a trademark, can I include it in the Trademark Clearinghouse?
- A: No. Protections afforded to trademark registrations do not extend to applications for registrations, marks within any opposition period or registered marks that were the subject of successful invalidation, cancellation or rectification proceedings.
- Q: Who are TLD Registrar Solutions?
- A: TLD Registrar Solutions Ltd (TRS) is an ICANN Accredited Registrar who provides domain registration and management services through the www.register.reit website. All agreements entered into on this site, unless otherwise stated, are made with TRS.
- Q: Can I register a domain name if I'm not yet ready to use it?
- A: All .reit domains are required to serve the needs of the REIT community, including providing information about or offering services related to the REIT. Once a domain is registered it should not be left parked and should point to relevant information about the REIT.
- Q: How do I modify the nameservers for my domain name?
A: To modify the nameservers for your domain name:
- login using your email address and password
- click on the domain name you wish to modify
- enter the new Nameservers into the Hostname fields
- click 'Add Nameserver' if you need to add additional nameservers
- click 'Save changes' to save your changes to the nameserver details
- Q: How do I update the contact information for my account?
A: To update your contact information:
- login using your email address and password
- go to 'Account Settings' from the menu
- enter your new contact information into the form fields and click 'Update Details'
- Q: How do I modify the details of a Contact associated with a domain in my account?
A: To update your Contacts:
- login using your email address and password
- go to 'Manage Contacts' from the menu
- your Contacts will be listed and can be edited from this page. Please note: any changes to a Contact will be reflected across all domain associations
- Q: How do I renew a domain name?
A: To renew a domain name:
- login using your email address and password
- click on the domain name you wish to renew
- click 'Renew' next to the domain name's expiry date at the top of the page
- Complete the renewal application form
- please note: domain names cannot be renewed for 7 days after their initial registration
- Q: Can I set up automatic renewal payments?
- A: No, you must login to your account and complete a registration application form to validate you are still an eligible REIT when renewing a domain name. We will send you reminders by email before the expiry date.
- Q: What is domain forwarding?
- A: Our forwarding service allows you to re-direct your domain name to an already existing website. To set web forwarding for your domain name you will need to use the Advanced DNS Manager.
- Q: How do I transfer my domain name to another registrar?
A: To transfer your domain name you will need to generate the Auth/Transfer code. Once logged in, click on the domain name and then use the 'Generate code' button at the top of the page. The Auth/Transfer code will be emailed to the Administrative Contact for the domain name.
This Auth/Transfer code can be given to your new registrar in order for them to initiate a transfer.
- Q: Does it cost anything to transfer my domain?
- A: Yes, there is a $50 fee to transfer into your account.
- Q: How do I contact customer support?
A: Email your enquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We endeavour to respond to all enquiries within 24 hours.
- Q: How do I submit a trademark infringement claim against a Register.REIT domain name?
- A: There is a Uniform Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP) which applies to all Generic Top Level Domain (GTLD) names including Register.REIT domain names. Please see ICANN's instructions on the UDRP procedure for information on how to submit your claim.
- Q: What is Advanced DNS Manager?
A: Advanced DNS Manager is a free service, which enables you to put and manage your domains on our registry service provider, CentralNic USA's, well proven DNS infrastructure.
To setup your domain on Advanced DNS Manager:
- Login to your account and click on the domain name
- Click 'Advanced DNS Manager' under Nameserver Configuration
- Confirm you have read and accept the terms and conditions
- Click 'Activate domain on Advanced DNS'
- You are fully in control of your zonedata
- You can add as many A/AAAA/MX/CNAME/TXT records to your zonefile as you'd like
- You can setup Web Forwarding and redirect your domain to an already existing URL
- Q: How do I delete my domain?
A: To delete your domain:
- Login to your account and click on the domain name you'd like to delete.
- Go to 'Domain Cancellation' at the bottom of the page and click 'Delete'.
- This action will schedule the domain for deletion, and also delete any associated services.
- This action cannot be undone, and no refund will be given.
- Q: My domain is pending deletion, how do I make it live?
- A: If your domain expired more than 44 days ago it will now be pending deletion. To restore your domain you need to login to your account and renew it. To do this, click the renew button next to the domain, in the "Your Domain Name's" table. A domain can be restored up to 30 days after going to the pending deletion status, and will incur a fee in addition to the renewal fee. For more information about our what happens to your domain after expiry please see our Deletion and Auto-Renewal Policy
- Q: How much does it cost to restore a domain after expiry?
- There is a $50 restoration fee for Register.REIT domain names.
- Q: What is email forwarding?
Email forwarding is currently offered to all users as a free add-on service to complete your online presence. Your free email forwarding account(s) enables you to advertise a professional email address using your Register.REIT domain name, and forward it to your existing email address. For example, setup yourname@yourbusinessRegister.REIT and forward it to email@example.com.
- Login to your account at www.register.reit
- On the main page click on the domain you wish to setup email forwarding for
- Scroll down until you find the Email Forwarding section and enter your email forwarding details.
In order to setup forwarding to your existing email address please follow the below instructions:
To configure your existing email account to be able to send from your new www.register.reit email please see the instructions for the appropriate email provider below. PLEASE NOTE: You must create your email forwarding through www.register.reit before configuring your existing email account to send from your new address.
Please ensure that you add your new email address to your "Safe Senders" list to ensure that emails forwarded are not classed as SPAM.